For years I have wondered what the difference is between a highway, a byway & a freeway. Not to mention the tollways that some cities have. I guess they can all be classified as roadways; but what makes them unique?
I decided to go to Webster’s Dictionary to find the answer. So here goes:
- A highway is a public way especially : a main direct road
- A byway is a little traveled side road.
- A freeway is an an expressway with fully controlled access & without toll fees.
- An expressway is a a high-speed divided highway for through traffic with access partially or fully controlled.
- A tollway is a road (such as an expressway) for the use of which tolls are collected (sometimes called a turnpike)
- A roadway is the strip of land over which a road passes.
So there you have it. No matter what type of roadway you travel on this week, I pray for safe travels and meaningful connections with your loved ones.