I saw this graphic on a friends Facebook page and I just had to participate. Yes, I added a new entry everyday. It was hard not to skip forward & fill in the “easy ones”, but I wanted the entry for each day to be a reflection of that day. I hope you enjoy the list & find some new things to be thankful for this year.
1. Person – My husband, Michael, who has somehow put up with all my idiosyncrasies for 28 years (married for 26) and is now my biggest cheerleader on my Journey to a Healthier Me.
2. Animal – My kitties Mac ‘n Cheese & Velcro. I love kitty snuggles at the end (or beginning of a long day).
3. Cozy Place – Today our furnace went out, so my favorite cozy place today is next to our wood stove.
4. Favorite Snack – Before VSG – Ruffles with Dean’s Onion & Bacon Dip — NOW Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt or ¼ cup of trail mix. It’s true, WLS changes your taste buds.
5. Place – Clear Creek Farm, Hillsboro Ohio. This is our family farm, just looking at the pictures brings back memories of Thanksgivings that hosted 30+ people, summers of canning vegetables & baling hay, grandma playing the piano & endless games of Rook or Aggravation. This is also a place of peace, emotional healing & unconditional love!
Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. – Colossians 2:7 NLT
6. Pair of Shoes – My cross-trainers & aqua shoes, because they are helping me to get healthy.
7. Scent – These days I love coming home to the smell of a clean house. I am so blessed to be able to have a cleaning lady that comes every other week. Thanks JS, for doing such a GREAT job.
8. Restaurant – Around the Clock has the best French Onion Soup I have ever had. They also have an amazing bakery case (everything is made fresh in-house).
9. Blog/Website – I am thankful for WordPress.com that hosts my blog and has connected me with all of you.
10. Time of Day – I love the early morning when I can have a hot cup of coffee (or tea) and some quiet time with God before the chaos of the day begins.
11. Tradition – Please read Veteran’s Day 2020. I am awed by what happened this year.
12. Gadget – I try to convince myself that I’m not a gadget-y person, but then I look around my home & realize that it is full of gadgets. The two that I am most thankful for are the Keurig & the wireless router. The Keurig because I can have a hot beverage in an instant and the wireless router becasue I can blog from anywhere in the house.
13. Something Old – I will always be thankful for the Word of God. I am blessed to have been raised in a Christian family where church attendance, prayer and Bible study were part of our everyday lives. I honestly don’t know how we would have raised our children without the guidance of the Holy Spirit, other Christian parents & our church.
14. Something New – My medical team, Lacee Keller PA, Dr. John Cheregi, Kiersten Kern & Julie Cohen. I would also add the staff at Northwestern Medicine Health and Fitness Center. Their unwavering support continues to encourage me on my Journey to a Healthier Me.
15. Experience – This may sound a little strange but I am thankful for 2020. Before you think that I’ve gone crazy, hear me out. It’s during times of my greatest struggles that God speaks to me the loudest. It’s during time in the valley that God shows me how high I can soar. This year has been hard, very hard, but I have also experienced some amazing growth & realized anew that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13
16. Recipe – I am grateful for the way some of my favorite dishes have been reimagined in The Gastric Sleeve Bariatric Cookbook by Sarah Kent.
17. Store – I have become more of an online shopper in the last few years. I am especially thankful for Amazon Prime. I ♥️ when I order something & it arrives the same day. We do still pick up groceries & prescriptions in person. Looking for a bargin at thrift stores can be fun too!
18. Quote – My grandma Peg used to say, “No trading socks in the house”. Translation – “If you’re going to fight with your cousin/sister/brother do it outside.” Thinking back, I remember some of the silly disputes that arose between us kids & the ice cream or fresh blackberry pie that helped nurse our “wounds”.
19. Clothing – We had Spirit Week – Covid Style at school this week & by happenstance today was “Favorite T-Shirt Day“. I earned my Turkey Burn 2020 shirt at the gym on my 10th visit this month. With things shutting down in Illinois this weekend, who knows what my workouts will look like. Maybe Just Dance or Wii Fit?
20. Keepsake – So many things come to mind; like the notes my husband used to leave on my car when we were dating, the cookbooks & recipes that belonged to my grandmas, scrapbooks that I’ve made over the years & the quilts that my mom made. Each one has special memories attached.
21. Disappointment/Fear – I have thought about this all day. I mean, is anyone really thankful for disappointment or fear? Then I started thinking about how when I am disappointed or afraid, it’s the perfect opportunity to lean into Jesus and experience His peace and unconditional love.
22. Book – I am an avid reader. I like historical fiction, history, biographies, mysteries, suspense/thrillers, Christian non-fiction & reading picture books to children. I only know of one book that is filled with all of these, THE BIBLE!
23. Feeling – In my life I have experienced true joy & deep sorrow. And the truth is, that without times in the valley I could not full appreciate those mountain top experiences.
24. Photo – I love looking at pictures from family holiday gatherings. When I look at them, I am transported back in time to the love & joy that we shared. What a true gift from God.
25. Luxury – According to dictionary.com luxury is defined as a material object, service, etc., conducive to sumptuous living, usually a delicacy, elegance, or refinement of living rather than a necessity. I’m a pretty simple girl. I don’t need a lot of fancy things or extravagant vacations. But I do appreciate the luxury of being an American citizen with the freedom to openly worship God & share my faith.
26. Charity – There are so many good charities out there. Unfortunately there are many that are…ahem… less then upright. Before giving to a charity it is wise to do a little investigating into how they manage their resources. NOTE: giving to a charity should come after you have given your full tithe to your local church, NOT instead of. Our family realized a long time ago that when we are faithful with our tithe, He is faithful in providing for ALL our needs. He also shows us where to donate money, items or time.
Today is Thanksgiving. I feel joy knowing that because of our contributions, some other families are able to have a Thanksgiving meal.
27. Song – I love music, all kinds of music. As a matter of fact quite often I feel the urge to blurt out song lyrics when I hear someone use similar words or phrases. Have you ever know someone like that. Fortunately, I have others in my life with the same “affliction”. I don’t have a favorite song BUT I am truly thankful for the gift of music.🎶🎵
28. Gift – The greatest gift I have ever received is the assurance of Heaven when Christ entered my heart. It is sometimes hard to wrap my mind around the fact that He took took the beatings & the cross for me but when my heart engages I can feel His unending & unconditional love. My heart is full today & that Joy shows on my face.
29. Something at Home – I love that our home is a place where are all welcome to come in & enjoy a cup of coffee, a hug, a prayer or just to get away from the craziness of life for a while.
30. What are You Most Thankful For? – Jesus for without Him my life would be meaningless.
I will give thanks to You, because I am awesomely and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. – Psalm 139:14 NASB
Let us come to him with thanksgiving. Let us sing psalms of praise to him. – Psalm 95:2 NLT
…that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever! – Psalm 30:12 NLT
This 30-Day journey has been good for me. Please know that you are appreciated, loved & prayed for often. THANK-YOU!